Who is matthew stafford dating inthestarsdating com
Demolition of several of the terraces was in progress in 1974, and there had been some rebuilding on cleared sites. Site of Green Lanes Furnaces To commemorate Queen Victoria's golden jubilee the council acquired 13 a. 349) and by 1927 450 houses had been built on the Blakenall estate. 350) Houses, maisonettes, and multi-storey flats have been built since the Second World War, including an estate in Green Rock Lane dating from the later 1940s. 351) The hamlet of Goscote, a name meaning a hut in the gorse, (fn.
192) and one which followed the lower part of the present Alexandra Road and part of the present Weston Street to the West Bromwich road in the Redhouse Farm area. 193) Milton Street is part of an early way running from Caldmore (along Watery Lane) and continuing to Bescot (along Wallows Lane). 194) The northern end of Milton Street ran by the pool of the early-17th-century New Mills and was formerly called Stank Lane. 195) There was evidently ironworking near Palfrey Green in the later Middle Ages. 196) In 1770 an awl-blade maker and a spurmaker were recorded at Whitehall between Palfrey and Caldmore. 197) This suggests the existence by then of the house called White Hall which still stood in 1843 at what is now the junction of Dale Street and Alexandra Road. The land was divided into 145 lots and distributed among 78 people. Whitehall Road, cut in the later 1860s, was built up by the mid 1870s, and Tennyson Street (now the east end of Dale Street), Alexandra Street (the north end of Alexandra Road), and Villiers Street existed by then. to the south of Dale Street, the two ends of which were presumably linked about that time; the park was extended to its present 16 a. Earl Street and Countess Street were laid out in the early 1890s and building-leases granted in 1893, 1894, and 1899. 204) The streets to the south date from about the same time, and much of the building in Lord Street is of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. 205) Building spread southwards to the borough boundary between the World Wars, with both council and privately built estates. 366) In the later 1930s a council estate was built at the south end of Goscote Lane, and a private estate had been built in Dartmouth Avenue by 1938. 367) The first council housing in Walsall after the Second World War was built at Coal Pool in the later 1940s, and more has been built there since. 368) In 1974 there was still some open ground along the canal north of Harden Road. 373) there are also some privately built houses erected between the World Wars. south of Leamore Lane in order to replace 180 slum properties with a multi-storey estate of 280 dwellings. 383) consisted by the 1880s mainly of derelict ground covered with old mine shafts; the Hatherton Brickworks, the Hatherton Furnaces, and the Walsall Glue Works had been built along the Wyrley and Essington Canal. 384) That stretch of the canal remains industrialized, (fn.
33) and a further improvement came in 1886 when Bradford Place was completed at the junction of Bradford and Bridgeman Streets; the cenotaph there was unveiled in 1922. 34) Also in the early 1830s Goodall Street was built between High Street and Bridge Street, with Freer Street running off it. 35) There was subsequently some development on the hill-top by St. Temple Street was built through to New Street in place of a winding alley apparently . Little Hill, the narrow foot-way leading to the church from the top of High Street, was widened into what is now Church Hill, and the market house at the foot of it was pulled down. Houses and shops were then built, and in 1855 Bridge Square (soon called simply the Bridge) was described as 'the centre and most strikingly beautiful portion of the town'. 38) About 1851 too the level of Digbeth and Park Street was considerably raised. 39) In the late 1850s two Russian cannons captured during the Crimean War, a clock on a pillar, and a drinking fountain presented by F. Oerton, mayor 1854-5, were placed in the centre of the Bridge.
In 1879 the cannons were sent to Woolwich Arsenal, and in 1886 the clock and fountain were replaced by a statue of Sister Dora. 40) The railway, opened in 1847, helped to establish the new centre.
The first station, off Bridgeman Street, was replaced in 1849 by one in Station Street off Park Street.
Station Street was described in 1855 as comprising 'a long range of neat, uniform buildings', mainly private houses but including the large Railway Commercial inn; a second hotel was being built. Matthew's in 1948, and by 1953 Temple Street had disappeared and there was an open space south of the church named St. The Memorial Gardens to the west were opened in 1952. 48) In the 1960s a new shopping precinct was created in the upper part of Digbeth and in the Old Square running north from Digbeth to Freer Street.