Dating in birmingham Sexting sites free
During the clearance, small streets such as The Shambles, Cock (or Well) Street and Corn Cheaping, which had existed before the Bull Ring, were removed.
The Shambles was originally a row of butchers' stores, situated close to the road leading from the location where bulls were slaughtered.
The slope drops approximately 15 metres (49 ft) from New Street to St Martin's Church which is very visible near the church.
Initially, a textile trade began developing in the area and it was first mentioned in 1232 in a document, in which one merchant is described as a business partner to William de Bermingham and being in the ownership of four weavers, a smith, a tailor and a purveyor.
They bought the market rights from the lord of the manor and, by 1832, all properties on site had been purchased, with exception of two, whose owners demanded a higher price.
To fund the purchase of these properties, two buildings were constructed either side of the market hall and the leases sold at auction.
Despite being overcrowded and cramped, many houses on the street had gardens as indicated by an advertisement for a residential property in 1798.Construction of the Market Hall, designed by Charles Edge (an architect of Birmingham Town Hall), began in February 1833.It was completed by Dewsbury and Walthews at a cost of £20,000 (£44,800 if the price of acquiring the land is included) and opened on 12 February 1835 and contained 600 market stalls.In the 16th century and 17th century, Mercer Street rapidly developed and became cramped.In the early 18th century Mercer Street was known as Spicer Street, reflecting the growing grocery and meat trade that had begun to take over from the cloth trade.